10. LIGHT YEAR – MODERATION. BUCK RODGER’S FAVORITE MIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
The original track Jordan sends me immediately reminds me of Motorbass ! Far-off vocals in the reverb and slow, heavy groove ! I was already preparing the tracklist for the boxset you’re holding now when I thought it’d be funny to finish off the ‘remixes’ pack with a track that sounded like the kind of thing I was making 15 years ago ! So I get out my turntable, my funk albums and my sampler, and copy myself 15 years on ! We’ve come full circle !
9. TAÏ – BIG BASS DRUM. ETIENNE DE CRÉCY REMIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
It’s all very well making tracks that are all sweetness and light! But what do you play down at the disco on a Saturday night?
8. THE SHOES – STAY THE SAME. ETIENNE DE CRÉCY REMIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
Guillaume and Benjamin are serious crackpots, and I love them ! They make music in their own image. They’re so talented they do whatever they want. They manage to shoot off in all directions while still following a coherent logic. Not everyone can do that ! When a song is this well written and well performed (Esser), doing an understated remix is a pleasure.
7. KEREN ANN – BETWEEN THE FLATLAND & THE CASPIAN SEA. ETIENNE DE CRÉCY REMIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
I’m a big fan of Keren Ann. It’s very easy and exhilarating to build an arrangement around her voice. She’s an extraordinary artist – she has that many strings to her bow, it’s a harp !
6. ADAM FREELAND – HOW TO FAKE YOUR OWN LIFE. ETIENNE DE CRÉCY REMIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
Remixing a track is a difficult exercise. You have to be able to express yourself while keeping the essence of the track. I can’t remix a track I love. I have to find a flaw. My ambition is then to improve it and reveal its unexploited potential. And sometimes that’s very easy ! The gimmick on Adam Freeland’s original track is so strong that the remix takes care of itself ! Then his label dawdles for three years before releasing it. A long delay like that usually kills an electronic track, but we’re lucky with this one !
5. CUT COPY – LIGHTS & MUSIC. SUPERDISCOUNT REMIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
Julien Delfaud mixes Cut Copy’s first album and that’s what puts us in touch with Modular, the best label in Australia ! I think the song lyrics are very sad, so I make a very ‘deep’ remix. My English is terrible and now I realise that maybe I didn’t understand what the lyrics mean !
4. BUMBLEBEEZ – RIO. DUB MIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
I’m so inspired by the Bumblebeez world, music, visuals and videos that I do two remixes for them ! I’m sure we’d be good mates if they didn’t live on the other side of the world. But the Australians are asleep when we’re awake, so we’re not really likely to get on !
3. EYERER & NAMITO – QUIPA. ETIENNE DE CRÉCY REMIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
I always carry lots of discs on the Great Stuff Recording label around in my DJ bag (I’m still playing vinyl records in 2006 !). This remix is a theoretical exercise; I’m trying to imitate that label’s sound. It’s my vision of German techno ! If I have to keep only one track of my discography, it would be this one.
2. WHO MADE WHO – OUT THE DOOR. SUPERDISCOUNT REMIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
I’ve been touring Superdiscount 2 live with Julien Delfaud and Alex Gopher for the best part of a year when Matthias Munk requests a remix for Who Made Who. We are to all intents and purposes a band, and knowing each other so well means we can make really good music really fast ! I always like the tracks I’ve worked on with other people best. They don’t have the same laboured sound I can hear in my solo productions.
1. MYLO – PARIS FOUR HUNDRED. ODYSSÉE MINIMAL - TRANCEY - PROGRESSIVE BARRÉ AVEC MULTIPLES BREAKS REMIX / REMIXES FROM 2006 TO 2012
Olivier Pilz, manager of label Sister Phunk (the label he set up to release Mylo’s album in France) asks me for a remix of the track for its re-release. It’s just after the Kraftwerk remix and he wants one in the same vein. I find his brief so funny that name the remix after it! The launch party’s in Aix-en-Provence and then Paris. I get the worst hangover I’ve ever had.